A Governess is an in-house educator for children, who cares for every aspect of their physical and mental wellbeing. Inspiring learning, making education, not just academic, but bringing it to life by caring for children on a one-to-one basis. More than a tutor, who specialises in certain subjects, a Governess is an overall educator with a Nanny mindset, giving children that overall care and support to develop both intellectually and physically.
- A Governess is an educator, supporting and or supplementing academic school learning.
- A Governess helps develop a child’s intellect, inspires learning and social behaviour
- A Governess coordinates and provides leisure activities, extra curriculum and educational excursions.
- A British Governess promotes English pronunciation to children whose first language is not English.
- A bilingual Governess teaches a second language (French, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin etc.)
Working Hours of a Governess
Each family is unique and they will state the schedule and shift pattern that best suits them. On average most Governesses work approximately 8 to 10 hours a day usually with 2 days off. A Governess could also work on a rota, such as one week on one week off, which can sometimes suit a family who wants and needs a team of two.
Salary of a Governess
Pay for a Governess ranges between £800 to £1,300 per week, dependent on experience and qualifications.