A House Manager oversees the running of the employer's household, taking the burden off the boss. If there are other household staff – maids, cooks, housekeepers – the House Manager hires, fires and pays them. The House Manager deals with contractors if repairs or renovations are necessary. A House Manager can be for any sized home, such as a high-powered professional with a small home may be very happy to have a House Manager take over most of the day-to-day household tasks.
A House Manager sets the tone for the household. They let the staff know what's expected of them, what the service standards are and how formally they should conduct themselves.
- Ensures the smooth running of the house and manages all household staff.
- Engaging and overseeing outside contractors, service providers and suppliers.
- Overseeing household staff including hiring, firing, payroll management and performance reviews.
- Writing of household manuals and policy documents for owner’s approval.
- Staff training and development, financial management, budget administration, and purchasing.
- Household project management.
- Maintenance of the property on a regular basis.
- Maintaining security and communication systems and record keeping
- Multi-property management
- Ensuring efficiency, harmony, and high morale throughout the household
- Organising of social and family events
- Caring for household’s guests and visitors
- Serving of wines and other drinks
- Serving of refreshments and meals
- Caring for silver, china, antiques and other specialist items
- Covering duties of a valet, chef, housekeeper, nanny, pet minder, gardener, or chauffeur if these staff are occasionally off duty or on-sick leave.
Working Hours of a House Manager
A live-in House Manager, typically works a 5 day week for 10 to 12 hours a day. A full-time live-out House Manager usually works an 8 to 10 hour day.
Salary of a House Manager
The average salary range for a live-in or live-out House Manager is £40,000 to £60,000 gross per annum in the UK and is £80,000+ if they are managing multiple properties. An international House Manager’s average salary range is £80,000+