A Housekeeper-Cook is more than a Housekeeper, as they are a good home cook, preparing and serving all family meals, able to menu plan. The added responsibility of cooking, means they are multi-skilled, able to prepare tasty, fresh wholesome meals to suit the family’s requirements and care for the home around the demands of meal preparations.
- Preparing and serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Clearing away, tidying and cleaning the kitchen and rooms where food is eaten.
- Presenting menus for approval and discussing daily requirements with employer, house manager or butler.
- Dealing with grocery shopping and maintaining accounts and budgets
- Placing orders for kitchen supplies
- Maintaining stock control
- Keeping kitchen pots, pans and work surfaces clean and in good condition
- Ensuring refrigerator is clean and out-of-date items discarded
- Tidying and cleaning bathrooms, bedrooms and living areas
- Polishing brass and silver, antiques, and fine furniture
- Collecting, washing and ironing laundry. Hand washing delicate items
- Arranging for dry-cleaning
- Answering door and telephone
- Feeding and exercising pets
- Keeping patios, pathways and steps clean and tidy
- Watering household plants
- Handling petty cash and debit cards
- Dealing with tradesmen, suppliers and contractors
- Managing security alarms
Working Hours of a Live-in Housekeeper-Cook and Live-out Housekeeper-Cook
A live-in Housekeeper-Cook, typically works a 5-day week for 10 to 12 hours a day.
A full-time live-out Housekeeper-Cook usually works an 8 to 10-hour day.
Salary of a Live-in Housekeeper-Cook and Live-out Housekeeper-Cook
The salary range on average is £500 to £650 net per week for a live-in position, dependent on their standard of cooking or £550 to £750 net per week for a live-out position dependent on their standard of cooking.
Housekeeper-Cooks are usually charged at the hourly rate of £12 – £16, dependent on their standard of cooking.